Garden eggs sauce may well be the best sauce for boiled yam or boiled plantain.
It can also be prepared with vegetable oil.
- 8 big garden eggs
- 1 cup of palm oil
- 1 onion
-Salt to taste
2 small smoked fish
Before you prepare the garden eggs sauce
-Rinse the garden eggs very well and remove the stalk.
Blend the garden eggs
- You can blend in two ways
1 ) Using A blender:Cut the garden eggs into small pieces
- Put in blender and pour just enough water to help the blade of your blender more
-Blend till smooth.
2 ) Using mortar and pestle,
-Boil some water in a pot
- Add the garden eggs and continue to cook till they are soft
- Peel the waterproof skin of the garden eggs
- Pound in a mortar till a smooth puree is achieved.
- Cut the onions into small pieces
- Pound the pepper in the mortar till smooth
- Prepare the mackerel fish
-Start cooking the yam
- Pour the garden egg puree into a clean pot and cook till almost all the water dries up, set aside
* * * * * Skip the step if you prepared the garden egg puree using mortar and pestle method.
-Pour the palm oil into a clean pot and heat it up, don't bleach. You only need to heat till a piece of onion sizzles when added to the hot oil.
-When the oil is hot enough, add the onions and fry for about 2 mins
- Add the garden egg puree and stir for a bit, cover the pot and cook-fry for sometime stir again.
- Repeat the above step till the small amt of water in the puree is dried up, the palm oil also be separated from the puree
- Add the ogiri okpei (Iru ) and habanero pepper blender and blend.
- Add your seasoning
- Add the mackerel fish, stir, cover and allow to simmer.
-Your Garden Egg Sauce is ready
-Serve with boiled yam or plantain.
Photo credit: ..Judith